Tuesday, September 20, 2011

 

red beans

Red Beans
1 bag (16 oz) dried kidney beans

Soak the dried beans in a bowl, covered with water. When I say covered with water, I mean, cover the beans with water that's 4 inches higher then the beans. So, use a LARGE bowl. I say this only after learning from experience. I soaked my beans, and then had to add EXTRA water because as the beans soak, they expand. So you want to make sure you add enough water to keep them covered as they expand.

Drain the soaked beans and pick out any beans that look funky and wrinkly. This is a suggestion, but not MANDATORY. Honestly, I didn't pick out any weird looking beans.

In a large pot, add the beans and cover with water. Cook over high until the water starts to boil, then simmer on low for about 2 hours (until the beans are tender).
*You can do this in a crockpot too. Cover the beans with water, and cook on low for 6-8 hours.

Drain the beans and voila, you have yourself the same beans you'd buy from a can, but for a fraction of the cost.

At this point you can salt, flavor and season them to your liking.
*I made a big batch and froze whatever beans I didn't use. I just let the beans cool and sealed them in a ziplock bag and put them in the freezer. They'll be perfect for some chili later on (or for more Cuban Red Beans)!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?